Learning the Art of Gelato
The keys strengths of my courses are a teaching method based on real-life situations, the integration of theory with practical experience, exploration of specific case studies, team work and historical and traditional framework and awareness.
Artisan Gelato is not just the product of the art and genius of the Gelatiere (Gelato maker). If you want to build a successful Gelateria you need to consider all aspects of the product, ranging from the choice of raw materials through to consumer satisfaction and customer expectation. If you want to improve the performance of your business, I’m here to help.
If you want to meet me or witness the real Gelato making process, you can find me at lots of shows and trade fairs (or at my Gelateria in Brisbane). Head over to this section to learn more about the Expo I will be attending soon.
Bologna, the city I was born in, is the proud capital of Artisan Gelato not just in Italy, but throughout the world. My passion for Gelato began there, and has always been a part of my life. From the time I was a small child my father would bring home different Gelati for me to try and so, over time, I developed a genuine appreciation for the quality and taste of a truly great Gelato.
I studied at the University of Bologna, the oldest University in the world, graduating with a Masters Degree in Economics and Trade Marketing. After three years experience as a Marketing Specialist for a large company in Italy, and after a six month trip around Australia in 2009, I decided it was time to use my skills and experience to evolve from a Gelato Lover to an international Gelato Master.
The first step of this transformation was to study at GelAteneo in Bologna, the training facility of Iceteam1927 – a premium Italian manufacturing brand of Gelato machinery. The course was taught by one of the greatest Gelato Masters in the world, Giacomo Schiavon, owner of Bologna’s iconic and historically significant ‘La Sorbetteria Castiglione’.
In 2013, with the help of a friend, I opened my very first Gelato parlour on the site of an old butcher’s shop in Bologna. Fittingly, we named it ‘La Macelleria’. In 2014, after learning the realities of running a successful Gelato business, we realised our vision and moved ‘La Macelleria’ to Brisbane, Australia. The store now has a reputation as one of the best Gelato parlours in Australia.
Through Gelato and our dedicated education as Gelato Masters, we were able to move to the country we had dreamed of living in – a country we believed was in great need of an introduction to the True Art of Gelato. I have since become the official Brand Ambassador and Gelato Teacher for Iceteam1927 in Australia and Asia.
I believe in creating delicious, Artisan Gelato using the finest ingredients and a whole lot of passion, and I challenge myself every day to improve and to learn more. Let me help you realise your dreams through my managerial, marketing, and Artisan expertise.
My Gelato courses, traineeships and training programmes are conducted in partnership with Iceteam1927, and are affiliated with their Bologna-based training facility “GelAteneo”. A true passion for Gelato led Iceteam1927 to create one of the best Gelato Schools in Italy, with a key focus on creating the Gelato Masters of the future. Inspired by Iceteam1927’s emphasis on excellence and quality, I am now at the disposal of anyone wanting to learn more about traditional artisan Italian Gelato. Classes are generally conducted at La Macelleria’s Gelato Laboratory in Brisbane (Australia), but I am happy to negotiate running a course at your own facilities.
I believe that intercultural exchange and experience in a different environment helps to build success in business and education, because of the increasingly globalised nature of the industry and the modern demands of the market.
The keys strengths of my courses are a teaching method based on real-life situations, the integration of theory with practical experience, exploration of specific case studies, team work and historical and traditional frameworks and awareness.
Start to know Gelato
Dedicated to those who approach the Gelato world for the first time. This course includes a clear description of all the processes and essential raw materials used in the production of Gelato. No specific knowledge or previous Gelato experience is required. The course takes place over two days, alternating theoretical principles with practical experience in the Lab.
The Art of Gelato making
Learn how to build a successful Gelato business, as well as learning how to balance ingredients and carefully manage a recipe. This course is dedicated to those who have taken the Basic Course and wish to increase their professional knowledge through the analysis and study of raw materials and the processes involved in the manufacture of Gelato.
Become a True Artisan
Learn the intricate details of working with the Vertical Batch Freezer Effe6 and Compacta machines. This is Gelato technique at its best, exploring two different methods: Traditional with Cattabriga Effe6 and combined system with Compacta Coldelite using heat shock process.
• Small and Medium-sized Artisan Gelato Businesses
• Gelato Franchising
• Gelato Newcomers
If you want to improve the performance of your business, I can help with:
• Gelateria (Gelato shop) Concepts
• Store Design and Development
• Production Line
• Operations: Processes and procedures of production
• Staff Training
• Marketing and Communication
Artisan Gelato is not just the product of the art and genius of the Gelatiere (Gelato maker).
If you want to build a successful Gelateria you need to consider all aspects of the product, ranging from the choice of raw materials through to consumer satisfaction and customer expectation
• Mission Analysis: Helping to build and define focus for your business. An important step in ensuring 100% customer satisfaction and a unique product.
• Laboratorio del Gelato: It is the Gelato Maker’s second home… “where Gelato happens”. Study of the spaces where production takes place, laboratory layout, and selection of the most appropriate equipment to achieve production targets.
• Display: This is the Gelato’s home. Research and selection of the most appropriate sales display options (pozzetti counter, ventilated showcase, etc.) and creation of the best menu for the specific target market.
• Recipes: They are the representation of the Art of the Gelato Maker. A recipe is an intrinsic factor in success, and so should be personal and unique. I will not give you a standardised recipe book, but will help you to create the Gelato you desire.
• Raw Materials: a very good Gelato must begin with high quality ingredients. For this reason, it is necessary to research and identify local raw materials and semi-finished ingredients required for the Gelatoʼs production in line with quality goals and defined costs.
• Operations: A reference manual for staff regarding the work environment and adherence to the business mission and goals. A special emphasis should always be placed on customer service and satisfaction.
• Training: Theoretical, technical and practical training of all levels of staff.
• Marketing and Communication: These are some of the most important aspects of any Gelato business, as they permeate all other activities of the organisation and focus on the most important activity of the business: selling.
You can meet me at
FEBRUARY 22nd – 25th
25th MACHINERY, MATERIALS, MARKETING OF BAKERY AND CONFECTIONERY SHOW. MOBAC SHOW 2017, the only specialized general exhibition in Japan for the bakery and confectionery industries, is going to be held. The show was held 24 times in the past, being highly rated in Japan and abroad as a business show, in which machinery, equipment, tools, raw materials, and sub-materials necessary for bakery and confectionery industries are exhibited together.
APRIL 25th – 27th
With strong support from the food and hospitality industry from Vietnam and beyond, Food&HotelVietnam is back for the 9th edition. Boasting a wider than ever variety of products and services from hundreds of exhibitors around the world, Food&HotelVietnam2017 is the international trade event serving the Indochina region, particularly Vietnam.
NOVEMBER 14th – 16th
22 years of FHC in China. 20 editions in Shanghai alone. The exhibition of choice for exporters and importers of food and beverages. More International companies and country pavilions than any food exhibition in China. 2,350 food and wine exporters and distributors from 65 countries participated at FHC and ProWine China 2016. Organised by CIE a member of Allworld Exhibitions, responsible for Organisation Asia’s leading food and wine trade exhibitions. 14 shows in 9 Asian countries.
For any enquiries or questions regarding the Gelato business or for further information regarding courses and consultancy services, feel free to fill the form below. I will be back to you in minutes.
Also, you can reach me anytime at